- An estimated 18,581 patient PBS initial prescriptions for hepatitis C direct acting antiviral (DAA) were processed for reimbursement during March to July 2016.
- Based on extrapolation of wholesale data to PBS reimbursement data, to account for the time lag in reporting, an estimated 26,360 individuals initiated DAA treatment during March to July 2016, including 7,240 individuals in March, 7,390 individuals in April, 3,250 individuals in May, 4,590 individuals in June, and 3,890 individuals in July.
- It is estimated that 12% of total individuals living with chronic hepatitis C in Australia have initiated DAA treatment during March to July 2016.
- Most individuals (77%) were prescribed under the General Schedule (S85). The most commonly prescribed regimen was sofosbuvir/ledipasvir for 58%, followed by sofosbuvir/daclatasvir for 37%.
- It is estimated that 60% of individuals with hepatitis C-related cirrhosis have initiated DAA treatment from 2014 to July 2016, through early access and PBS programs.